A radical Islam militant group is allegedly responsible for a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in North Sinai province of Egypt.
Egyptian state media reported that over 200 people have been killed in the attack.
Witnesses said the attack on the al-Rawda mosque in the town of al-Abed happened during Friday prayers.
“Men in four off-road vehicles started opening fire at worshippers during Friday prayers,” local police said.
Cairo has been struggling fighting terror groups in the region and witnessing an increase of terror attacks since 2013.
Militants had tried similar attacks several times in the Sinai Peninsula, but the recent attack is one of the deadliest terrors so far.
Latest reports stated at least 140 people were also wounded.
The targeted mosque was reportedly dominated by followers of Sufism, Islamic mysticism and supporters of the security forces.
Islamist jihadist groups in the region see Sufis, supporters of the military and other groups outside Sunni Muslims as the adversary.
Extra News TV, an Egyptian news station, reported that President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi is scheduled to hold a meeting with security officials to discuss the incident.
Egypt’s military unseated Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in July 2013, triggering Islamic terror groups to wage an insurgency and escalating terror attacks.
Hundreds of police, soldiers and civilians had been killed since then, most of the attacks were carried out by the Sinai Province group, which is affiliated to Daesh.
In September, militants affiliated with the Sinai Province group attacked a security forces convoy near al-Arish, claiming the lives of 18 police officers.
The Islamists militants had also targeted Egypt’s Coptic Christian minority, killing dozens of Christians in several attacks across the country.
More details to follow. Image 1 of President al-Sisi from IB Times UK.